Even though 2016 has seemed pretty bleak at times (in our opinion, 2016 was really kind of an asshole), it’s also important to take a step back and appreciate what we have. Appropriately, of course, you can do so with your family and friends on this most-delicious of holidays.

In keeping with Humboldt’s long tradition of generous philanthropy, you might consider donating some of your hard-earned cash to organizations throughout the county in hopes of giving back. Or at least in hopes of wiping away the guilt of all the booze and food you imbibed today.

Whatever your motivation may be, there are some important things to consider when deciding on which organizations you want to support. As you’ve probably heard, THC isn’t too fond of the Humboldt Area Foundation because of their political activism and their financially irresponsible – some might say crooked – handling of generously given funds.

We’ve talked about HAF’s issues in depth before, and you can refresh yourself through some of these THC flashbacks:

THC Poll results: super majority of Humboldt says Pat Cleary’s HAF should stay out of local politics

Humboldt Area Foundation: Padding their pockets and padding the polls

But most importantly, THC thinks it’s important to make sure people are aware of other fantastic organizations in the area which would benefit more from direct donations rather than your gift being funneled through HAF. And even if you’re dead-set on giving money to community organizations that manage funds and grants in the same manner as HAF, there are better options around.

Here’s a ridiculously incomplete list of organizations that would benefit greatly from your donation and in turn provide direct benefits to our community. (We say incomplete because there are many, many more groups in Humboldt to donate to; please feel free to add to our list in the comments.)

The McLean Foundation – Similar in practice to HAF, but there’s a world of difference. The amount of money they keep for their own costs is negligible compared to HAF, and they are committed solely to grant-making and supporting local non-profits. Not so much into starting their own political activist groups a la HAF.

The Boys and Girls Club of Humboldt – Self explanatory entry; give money straight to Boys and Girls Club and help them continue the great stuff they do with kids. Don’t let organizations like HAF skim off the top of your donations.

Humboldt CASA – What CASA really needs is volunteers to be advocates for children, but it’s also easy to donate some cash to help their efforts. CASA kicks ass for at-risk kids in Humboldt. You can help them do it.

Redwood Discovery Museum – Our kids always loved this place, and it holds a special place in our hearts.

Redwoods Rural Health Center – We’ve got it on good authority that the service RRHC provides to the rural community in SoHum is invaluable. Help people get access to the services they need.

Redwoods Women’s Center – Important stuff! Keeping mamas and their babies healthy.

Sequoia Humane Society – Show our furry friends and the people who care for them some love. P.s., it’s a well known fact that puppies and kittens can’t stand nefarious and greedy organizations like HAF.

Any of the Soroptomist International Foundations in Humboldt: SI of Arcata, SI of Eureka, SI of Humboldt Bay

Okay, we have tired ourselves out – the sheer size of our meals is beginning to weigh us down. Plus it’s time for Fido and crazy uncle Everett to fight over the wish-bone. Always entertaining stuff at THC’s holiday hootenannys.

Please, enjoy your Thanksgiving – and be sure to tell us which organizations you’d choose to support in the comments below!

Cheers, THC

21 Responses to Great ways to show thanks: Humboldt organizations worth donating to that aren’t HAF

1. John Fullerton says:

Humboldt CASA or the Betty Chin Center get my donations.

I was a CASA Advocate for 3 1/2 years and can tell you first hand what a great organization they are for children of some very troubled families.

Betty Chin actually helps the homeless better themselves instead of just giving out handouts.

• John, First of all, kudos for sharing your time and energy for those in need.

The candidate you ran against, Austin Allison went to at least two debates and possibly three that would be friendly political territory to you. The Chamber of Commerce and The Elks Club. I attended the debate sponsored by True North and held at the Methodist Church on Del Norte and found the debate refreshing and important. For one was a bi-lingual debate with Spanish actually presented as more prominent than English and a translator available to those who only speak Spanish.

My question would be, was the True North debate noticeably more political than either of the other two debates? I wouldn’t have characterized it as overtly political but as fair to all candidates from a certain perspective. Exactly as at least the Elk Club debate was. (I didn’t attend the Chamber debate).

Yes, I remember your protest for the final question that it wasn’t the one you were sent. Would you like to elaborate? Do you think that was a deliberate attempt to throw a curve-ball to you alone.

BTW, didn’t the Chamber endorse you as well endorsing “No on P” and “No on V”. I might be mistaken as I cannot find the mailings I received the day of the election, but if memory serves, they did. If that is true, don’t you think you spend some time THC on the government funding of political activities? Remember ECC is still funding the Chamber to the tune of $100,000 I believe.

Caveat: I am happy to have my memory proved mistaken on that last paragraph as it is based on memory, not links I have the time to provide right now.

• Just Watchin says:

The man makes positive comments about worthwhile organizations, and you start one of your typical political rants? The locals are right…..you really are a dickhead.

• Hi JW,

We have lots of issues with Jon Jon but “dickhead” isn’t really one of them. We do wonder why he seems to feel that it’s okay for supposedly non-partisan charitable/scholarship type organizations like HAF to be involved involved in setting up and organizing flagrantly biased and partisan political groups like True North. Don’t get us wrong we’ve got no problem with political groups, it’s just when they lie about what they are that we get peeved. He’ll probable just spin himself into a 2,500 word knot explaining how this is different.

THC..ok…ok…is “Richard Cranium” more acceptable?

3. To the guy who calls himself THC – I honestly can’t follow your crusade against HAF without also looking at race. I need to have all my ducks in a row before being certain I am right in this counter argument against you but why no similar crusade against the Eureka Chamber of Commerce? Are they non-partisan? Did they not endorse candidates and measures in the general election of 2016? Does government funding actually go to this organization and isn’t that even a worse ethical or legal breach of supposed political actions by HAF.

In the end THC your crusade against Patrick Cleary and the HAF will likely put pressure on that organization to change. That’s my guess, maybe, hopefully I’ll be proven wrong. But this is a problem when an organization is dependent on endowments to survive. It’s another great example why government is critical to democracy and non-profits and charitable organizations are hamstrung in ways that a democratic government can’t or shouldn’t be.

“We do wonder why he seems to feel that it’s okay for supposedly non-partisan charitable/scholarship type organizations like HAF to be involved involved in setting up and organizing flagrantly biased and partisan political groups like True North.”

Because I don’t believe that True North is a partisan political group different in any way from the Chamber of Commerce other than one backs an agenda of those with money and works for that agenda by means it can and the other does the same but their constituency does not share the Chambers direct links to power, they have to act though the people themselves.
    ______

“The man makes positive comments about worthwhile organizations, and you start one of your typical political rants?”

JW, if John Fullerton comes on to this thread and gives a full-throated endorsement of True North, HAF under Patrick Cleary t, I will apologize profusely as mis-understanding his lack of comment about either in a blog post titled “Great ways to show thanks: Humboldt organizations worth donating to that aren’t HAF”. In politics JW, and I’m sure you understand this, sometimes what isn’t said is as important as what is.

• The Chamber is partisan in that their mission is to support business. It seems natural that they would endorse business oriented candidates and we don’t have a problem with that. True North is similarly partisan in it’s support of Native American causes and candidates. We’re cool with that too if only they would be more honest and say so just like the Chamber. The real problem isn’t True North, it’s Humboldt Area Foundation organizing them, supporting them, and funding their partisan activities. HAF’s stated mission is to be NON-partisan and their funding is based on the representation that they won’t do exactly what they are doing. We don’t like it when school kids and their parents are lied to when they are told their fundraising efforts are for scholarships, books, and other similar NON-partisan stuff when it’s really going to one sided political purposes. It’s simply wrong for HAF to lie to kids.

• So it is OK for the ECC to spend $100K on partisan organizations?

That night at an ECC meeting where a THC reader gave you a shout out in one breath and said that Soros should fund True North in the next, a young True North employee came up to say their work is non-partisan.

I agree with you that we should expand the meaning of partisan to this “a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person.” with focus on “cause”.

Yet the Chamber’s cause is more than just business, you and I both know they will support Republicans 95% of the time with current party platforms. I do not think it is OK for them legally to receive City funds and be overtly supporting a political cause. The same is also true for Bay Keeper and HAF as well. It’s why they are silent during elections, careful not to endorse a candidate or measure.

From what I’ve seen, I agree with that women who came up to speak that night, True North is not partisan (in terms of the narrow political definition) in the sense that they are fighting for people that are not well represented in our societies power structure. Of course this seems partisan (as in cause) to you, but to me, this seems like home.

And yes, a debate from the perspective of a minority group of citizens is as important, if not more, than a debate from the perspective of business interests. And yes (imho), funding of that special interest is as important to the fabric of our society and as deserving of my parent’s or grandparent’s generous imaginary donation and as non-partisan as private-sector supplements to a public educational system that needs support due (imho) to a partisan (political) effort to de-fund public support of our education system.

• What were we thinking? Once again we are left to lament our poorly thought out hope that you could actually answer a question in a straight forward way. We knew that there was no hope for brevity but there’s no reason for us to engage if the question answered has no relationship to the one asked. Please, please, please just forget that we hit the button marked “respond”. Consider it an error in judgement or just one too many Mike’s.

THC…..WOW! Did you nail that one! Bravo

5. John B Fullerton says:

Jon, I hesitate to get into any debate with you because you are a relentless partisan.

However, I thought True North gave a fair debate and were non political. I had a temporary objection to one of their questions as they first gave a statement and then the question. When they read it back I heard the question more clearly so no problem.

The Chamber recognized I was the only candidate with business experience & knowledge, that is why they endorsed me. They spent -0- dollars on my endorsement. They are very much NON-PARTISAN, but they are pro business.

Maybe jonboy could give us a recap of his candidacy for council!

Jon, you like to ask questions, answer this one. Besides organizing some candidate forums, True North, locally, seems to only focusing on the Dakota pipeline. What issues closer to home have they helped with? Didnt seem them at the temporary homeless camps or feeding the needy?

8. John F., I don’t understand your perspective on what the difference is on how we approach politics. Despite implying on the campaign trail that you have cut ties with Republicans, the T-S had a front page picture with you smiling big behind Annette DeModena presumably as Trump was elected President. And what is wrong with that? Absolutely nothing.

R’s and D’sget short thrift in our country for various reasons. When we who understand the importance of a political infrastructure get a chance, we should sing their praises. Lord knows there are plenty of people to pooh pooh our two party system. Think about it, in California, we are forced by law to pretend local politics is non-partisan. Non-profits are forced to pretend a Mike Wilson vs a Uri Driscoll won’t make a big difference to their organizations missions. On some level you have to see that this is a ridiculous and somewhat dishonest status quo.

So yes, guilty as charged. I am and will be relentless in the pursuit of causes such as a sustainable future for our city, state and county. I will fight for those whose representation in our economic system and political system is less than most. I will fight for choice in land use rather than a myopic cookie-cutter future that has short-term benefits for a chosen few – many of whom are members of the HBE that supported you. I will also be relentless in the fight for the expansion of organizations that will help democratize our economy and profits rather than allowing few profit centers that leave us as the wealthiest country in the world with mind-boggling inequality. (John, did your realize 20% of our populations owns 85% of our country’s wealth and the bottom 40% own about 1%?) *

The truth is that we are both partisan John, we both have ideas and agendas for our future and that is a good thing.

John, I’m glad you thought True North’s debate was fair. I did too. I’m also glad that Austin participated in those 2 or 3 debates whose framework, I’d hope you’d admit, favored you. Knowing Austin, I think he would have said those debates were fair too.

*http://www.motherjones.com/files/outofbalance.jpg
    _____

John C. I don’t think I ask questions of people outside their area of expertise and demand an answer. I can’t give you a bullet point list of direct actions that would prove to you that their efforts result in unadulterated good for those in need. Not like the photo-opt that the Elks Club President Matthew Owen and Supervisor Bass had this past weekend. Kudos to them and Elks Club members for providing 100 turkeys to the mission.

But I’m not sure that we would be able to agree on an unadulterated good. For example, I went to their website to see if there was a list I could cut and paste and what I found instead is an article about how they approach (**warning, right wing trigger words to follow**) local community organizing for under-represented populations in Humboldt and Del Norte. That got me to thinking, businesses have an organization they can go to in the Chamber to organize on their behalf. You remember how shy they were to organize under John Fullerton against R as one example. Think of that as one answer to what they do. I know that will not be an answer you will like or approve of and THC will only use that answer to prove that True North is a political organization and not one worth the funds of their parent’s endowments.

But community organizing for those populations that are under-represented in our community is critical to a healthy community for all of us and for a democracy that continues (or begins depending on your perspective) to represent all of us, not just those that have the social standing, time or money to run for office.

• Arcatan says:

“…THC will only use that answer to prove that True North is a political organization…”

No doubt they will. Perhaps this is because that is exactly what they are.

• Arcatan,

What makes True North political but the Chamber not? John F. just argued that the Chamber is caps lock NON PARTISAN. Perhaps you and I and THC will agree that both the Chamber and True North are partisan in the sense that they have constituencies their organizations are meant to support along with specific policy agendas that would benefit these groups.

But what makes True North political and the Chamber not? The difference being that if both are political, you would expect THC to be making similar fuss that government funds are going to support the political organization that is the Chamber.

I guess I don’t have to wait until I find my misplaced fliers, I think everyone here agrees that the Chamber came out against P, V and for Fullerton. How is that non-political? Did True North do anything remotely similar? Mr. Fullerton was big enough to come here to admit that even he felt the most public role True North played in this election, the candidate forum *, was (in his words)

fair debate and were non political

I have followed the HAF non-controversy for months on THC and I still cannot understand the passion that drives it without paying attention to whom their actions support.

The Chamber can endorse local political campaigns and should continue to receive public money. An organization that is attempting to connect those who may be poorly represented by their representatives or served by our economy IS somehow political? I don’t get it, other than the fact that you say it’s true and therefore is.

* https://democratichumboldtfirst.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/eureka-city-council-candidate-form-in-45-minutes/

Jon, your answer did not address what True North has done for under represented local communities.Dakota Pipeline is not in Humboldt or Del Norte. Instead of protests, I would like to see True North put time and money into improving life of those who need it locally. Speaking of photo ops, Austin sure knows how to get “press.” You do not have a problem with him. Still waiting for an answer from him or the City on his lack of business license.

• Answering Questions:
        a)

Q: “your answer did not address what True North has done for under represented local communities”

A: “I don’t think I ask questions of people outside their area of expertise and demand an answer. I can’t give you a bullet point list of direct actions that would prove to you that their efforts result in unadulterated good for locals in need.”

“But I’m not sure that we would be able to agree on an unadulterated good. For example, I went to their website to see if there was a list I could cut and paste and what I found instead is an article about how they approach (**warning, right wing trigger words to follow**) local community organizing for under-represented populations in Humboldt and Del Norte. “

I don’t think you and I will agree that representation itself fills an important need in local under represented communities. I mean it doesn’t house the homeless nor feed the hungry (that I know of). I don’t have those kinds of answers if that is specifically what you are looking for. But please don’t under-estimate representation and outreach to under-served communities, and as far as that goes, I’d say the True North debate which provided materials, translators and presentations in Spanish* is but one example of True North has done for under-represented communities. It is also the only one I have been a part of so my perspective is very limited.

And btw, part of being represented is to bring matters of national importance to a community to their neighbors. Is that somehow a problem? Should we limit our local discussions to local issues or may we speak and organize on issues that may be centered elsewhere but may have reverberations that will affect our economic, social or political lives here too?

*Not to mention questions from the perspective of under-served, forgotten, or intentionally maligned communities.

Q: ” Austin sure knows how to get “press.” You do not have a problem with him. Still waiting for an answer from him or the City on his lack of business license.”

A: I don’t even know what the snark at the beginning of the question means. By press do you mean the 2 or 3 posts you’ve made on a controversy you would like to create? Does he like that or want that? You are the one who is frustrated with the local media for not writing about your topic.

Let me explain from a person who may have had some influence in this. I do not know anything about Austin’s personal or business life other that what he has told all of us, so I’m using the same information you have and processing it differently. The one difference between your and my experience would be I was at a meeting when Austin approached the NCPA and suggested that emphasizing independent business skills would be an important bullet point to get out there. Maybe John, this is all my responsibility.

Here is how I see what you clearly see as a lie or a negligent or corrupt person who has a business but has not filed a license. I see his business like I see many other local artisans who I’ve bought an amazing and affordable painting or piece of wordwork at Arts Alive or any number of craft fares we have locally. I don’t know enough about the world of independently owned businesses to know if as soon as you make $1 you have to have a business license or if there is some monthly or annual threshold you must meet. Do you know what that number is?

I would guess that the answer you are looking for is that in addition to his demanding day job Mr. Allison works with wood buying materials and sometimes selling products that I’m guessing leave his finances mostly in the red. He was very, very clear during the campaign that he is not making a living from this business which you might prefer if is prefaced with the word “incipient’.

9. We knew that there was no hope for brevity but there’s no reason for us to engage if the question answered has no relationship to the one asked.

I was embarrassed at my rudeness until I realized you did not ask a question. Check it out and tell me I’m wrong.

Also this “It’s simply wrong for HAF to lie to kids.” is simply amazing.

• john chiv says:

Jon, talking with you is like talking to a wall. Waste of time. Don’t try and condescend to me. Austin claimed to be a businessman, he was wrong, he will be getting a business license. It was more than two or three posts. Don’t you dare put me down. I have been quite successful, despite many challenges. I have contributed my own money for the betterment of this community. You, on the other hand know nothing about building your own income nor have a clue about anything. Just like dropping out and not running for Council, Jon, you talk a lot, deliver nothing.

• I spent a good chunk of my morning that day answering questions that if I didn’t you would say I never answer questions. I answered them honestly and forthrightly. Now I’m a wall.

I’m wondering how I un-wall myself. Do I have to agree with you to no longer be a wall? I just don’t get it.

Anyway I did not mean to be condescending. If I sound frustrated, it is because I am an I’ve written why here and elsewhere. You didn’t say how I was being condescending to put you down except to mention that I didn’t properly attribute larger numbers to your posts about Austin’s lack of a business license.

As always, I was trying to be fair and correct. To understand the 2 or 3 number, please refer to the category I was talking about. It was under the question specifically regarding the business license. I went back and counted the number of posts just now and found 3.

Nov 22nd. Now that there is an official complaint, will the City of Eureka still not look into Austin Allison?
        Nov 4th: Guess the City of Eureka and the rest of the media don’t think its relevant if a City Council candidate does not have a business license
        Oct 28th: Austin, you are running for Eureka City Council and you claim to have a business, where is your business license and other required permit?

If there was a 4th or 5th whose may topic was the business license I hope you will forgive the underestimate, I did not mean it to be condescending.

That was why I used the number I did. You bet I noticed the other obnoxious posts about Austin and I did not count those intentionally because I was answering your specific question. You can easily click a couple of inter-tube buttons to go to that other place where I’ve addressed issues I’m concerned about.
        _____________
        “I have been quite successful, despite many challenges.”

Having said all that John, I want you to know that from the bottom of my heart I am so happy for your success. May you continue to be successful in whatever endeavors you chose. Cheers.
        _____________
        And for those of you who didn’t see it, here is the results of John’s nose for reporting on those he disagrees with. Robert Tuel either independent of you John, or perhaps inspired filed a complaint with the City. (He also happens to be the one who wrote the complaint to the DA about the use of City Hall as a meeting place for signatures at the 11th hour.)

Hooray! I sincerely thing we are all happy that Austin is running his business by the book. How many people do you know who are avoiding getting business licenses or permits, some by intent and others by oversight? Let’s make this process a non-scary one with a process and fee schedule which is scalable.

If we do so, we all can be “businessmen” like Austin will soon be. We will all be our own job-creators! Hooray! The way things are going, Austin’s plan of having a business, being a union member and receiving a stipend for his time as a Council-member seems about what we all have to do going forward to make ends meet.