“It wasn’t us: AFSCME doth protest too much

Backwater, Comrades, backwater!

Backwater, Comrades, backwater!

AFSCME is seeking to do some damage control. Do not let them.

AFSCME is straight-up lying to you. Do not believe them.

Do you see what we did there?

Do you see what we did there?

To paraphrase our friend Sammy: Don’t drink the AFSCME kool-aid folks.

The letter in question:

—–Original Message—–
From: AFSCME LOCAL HUMBOLDT COUNTY [afscmelocal1684@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 08:38 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: Bohn, Rex; Fennell, Estelle; Lovelace, Mark; Bass, Virginia; Sundberg, Ryan
Subject: We are coming for your jobs-

Mr. Lovelace excluded as he is pro working class and pro economy and pro America.

So AFSCME had another contract meeting last night. Great turnout. We have voted overwhelmingly to move forward to cast a strike vote if we don’t receive an acceptable contract. Have fun doing our jobs. But more interestingly, we will be starting exploratory committees to run active members and retired members for capture the offices you hold, as the trust fund baby crew holding office now does not understand the working class or America.

In addition, we will start negative campaigning against your reelections bids. So hopefully you have hidden all of your dirt. It will be exposed to the public in mass media campaigns, doorstep pamphlets, radio airings, press releases and TV commercials, to Betty Chinn center and Catholic Charities, to Redwood Empire Little League, to the neighborhood watch etc. We just got word we have the funding and backing of the broader AFSCME brotherhood as well as our local fund raising. Hope you like to fight.

It was also brought to our attention that Rex Bohn has the endorsements of our state assemblyperson and state senator, Mr Wood and Mr McGuire, who are Democrats, and we assumed are the allies of the working class of America. They have also been contacted with a similar message to opposition to there support of Rex Bohn’s reelection. Also included are statements made by Rex Bohn about not needing AFSCME votes, reported and documented facts about personal history, the fact he is a trust fund baby and does not understand the working class. We will also be sending members to Sacramento to let lobby and advise them that if they endorse Bohn, a stated independent, who but who really is an all out Tea Party Conservative, then they will also be campaigned against negatively by the local and by broader AFSCME when it is there time.

It’s time to play hard ball.

Bass and Sundberg will be the next focus.

Solidarity and Unity, AFSCME LOCAL 1684

39 Responses to “It wasn’t us: AFSCME doth protest too much

1. Not4MeToo says:

In case you didn’t know…. a few months ago the Union (AFSCME LOCAL 1684) obtained enough signatures to enforce every single County employee (non-confidential or elected position) to automatically become part of the Union. I am one of those employees… and I get $50 a month taken out of my paycheck now that I can’t afford to lose. And to make matters worse, I do not support all the views and stances of the Union. I do not support “Me Too”. I believe a raise or promotion should be based on individual performance… not riding the coattails of others.

I have worked over 10 years with the County. I love my job. While everybody on the outside believes that we County employees make “bank” and sit on our asses — that is not true. We make “OK” money compared to other public and private employees; and quite honestly, I work my ass off. We have good benefits, although those benefits have also diminished over the years. Our “personal” cost share for health insurance has gone up every year while the cost of living has increased — and while all this time (> 5 years), there has been no wage increases. So I actually make less money and receive less benefits than I did 5 years ago. Am I complaining? A little… I just feel that everyone should be fairly compensated as the cost of living increases along with other expenses like health insurance.

Like any employee out there. I want my wages to increase over the years, not decrease. I want a fair contract and good benefits. I enjoy my job with the County and am grateful for the benefits I currently have. I am also a member of the Union, not by choice. Unfortunately, all this crap with the Union makes us “good” employees look bad.

Again, I do not support “Me Too”. I also do not believe in striking. The only thing I can do is “ride this out” and hope for the best… and continue working hard.

2. Neutral says:

Never have so few punk’d so many with so little effort. Congratulations, and kudos to the prankster that sent the letter.

3. MOLA42 says:

THC:

Face it, you were conned. The only fancy bull poop maneuvering I’ve seen here is your own.

Basic Journalism 101: Know your source. Period. I’ve been trying to remind Mr. Chiv of this for quite some time and he won’t listen and it appears you have the same problem.

That Problem? “If it sounds too good to be true, don’t pass it up. Print it.”

Even when the Tuluwat Examiner screws up, they admit it and move on. I suggest you do the same.

Liked by 2 people

4. jchiv says:

MOLA, you are quick to jump to the conclusion that the email writer is not associated with the Union. Prove it. Tuluwat screws up on a regular basis, they don’t apologize. They just ignore the problem and move on.

Basic journalism 101. People can think for themselves. They know who they trust. Anyone the Tuluwat and the regs tear down, is only a sign of that person is being effective.

• MOLA42 says:

Mr. Chiv, you have it backwards. It’s not for me to prove the letter was not legit. It is for the THC to prove it was legit, since they posted it as source and have since defended its legitimacy.

I’m not asking the THC to make apologies. I’m advising them to correct the record they themselves misrepresented by understandable error. I think that advice may also apply to you since you went with it in your own blog.

As for your own bit of Journalism 101: A good deal of the knowledge of the world I know about comes from outside sources (I’m told there is a place called the “United Kingdom”. I’ve never been there to see for myself, but trusted sources say it exists so I believe it does).

Your coverage of the courts is an example. If I can’t trust your judgement in disseminating the news then my knowledge of the local court system becomes suspect.

What if I don’t know you may be making all of your stuff up? I’m not saying you do, I believe you to be an honest and good source for information. But how would I know? How would I know truth from nonsense if I didn’t have the background in the courts you have? I wouldn’t.

That’s why you have the weight of the Responsibility that you carry. And that is what I’ve been trying to dun into your mind for all this while.

And part of that responsibility on your part, as a respected journalist, is to admit you might have taken a bite at a bad bit of information. And then correct the damage done.

Liked by 3 people

“I’ve seen the Tuluwat Examiner make quite a few mistakes. And I’ve seen them admit to them and at the very least remove the offending comments or misinformation. The incident that occurred at your own expense comes to mind.”

So, what do you think of their hit piece today on Ulanskey? I didn’t see any sources listed.

• MOLA42 says:

Coursin Eddie:

Did the Tuluwat Examiner make any factual errors with their “hit piece?” Plus, Mr. Ulansey got to have his say in response. I don’t have a problem with it.

Just as I don’t have a problem when THC goes after Mr. Dale and others. That’s what blogs do, for better or for worse. As long as it primes the pump for public discussion of the issues we face then I’m all for it.

For that matter I’ve been known to write a “hit piece” or two in my time, so I’m hardly above the fray.

The situation here is the THC got caught running and believing in a fake email (not the first time that has happened around here… see Eureka Citizen for example) and being too proud to admit they took the bait.

THC gave credence to the incredible without questioning the source nor the intention. I think there is a difference.

5. Jeannie says:

Greetings THC, I’m a new fan. How about a little more investigative journalism? Would you consider doing a piece on the amount of revenue loss to the City of Eureka directly correlated to crime and blight? Real taxable loss quantified $$$$. Social media is killing the hospitality business; Seedy, unsafe dirty ,etc. Best Western by the mall claims to be down in sales by over $700,000.this year, while Arcata and Fortuna hospitality sales are up. Walmart’s loss of over 1-million in theft, Shafer’s Ace Hardware minimum of $100,000 in theft, etc. The suffocation of the Marina project in favor of blight. Will people only take notice when the millions of loss revenue is quantified? Our very quality of life is at stake here. I appreciate what you’re doing for our community.

Jeannie Breslin JRBreslin@aol.com

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 12:43 PM, The Humboldt Consequential wrote: > > > Respond to this post by replying above this line > New post on The Humboldt Consequential > > > “It wasn’t us: AFSCME doth protest too much > by thehumboldtconsequence > The Lost Coast Outpost just posted an article about a steaming pile of bullshit pulled straight from the mouths of AFSCME’s leadership. > > As you may recall, we wrote a piece just last night about a shocking letter sent to the County Supervisors from the AFSCME. In case you missed it, check it out here. > > Now, in the absolute shit-storm of backlash they are receiving due to the sheer nastiness and idiocy of the letter, AFSCME has started back-pedaling like their paddle boat is going over the edge of Niagara Falls. > > > Backwater, Comrades, backwater! > > AFSCME is seeking to do some damage control. Do not let them. > > AFSCME is straight-up lying to you. Do not believe them. > > The AFSCMafia thinks that you’re so stupid that you can’t see through their thinly veiled attempt to save face for their asinine political tactics. Do not listen to them. > > For a letter (which we reprinted again at the end of this post for your convenience) that seems to be so intimately aware of the going-ons of the AFSCME Local 1684’s most recent meeting, the excuse that it didn’t come from someone on the inside is a tough pill to swallow. > > Let’s be clear – the language in the letter that evidences very intimate knowledge about both the situation between the Union and the Supervisors and the particulars about the AFSCME meeting itself is a very telling indication that the message could have come from nowhere else. If you aren’t a part of the union, you do not have privileged information regarding the move for a strike vote. You simply do not. > > Couple that with the amount of damage control the union is trying to do – they are falling all over themselves to assure the County that it wasn’t their doing – leads us to think the AFSCME doth protest too much. > > Speaking of which, I wonder how big a violation of contract talks this represents for the union? We also hear that union employees are calling the County to frickin’ apologize for the letter – if the people that the AFSCME represents believe that the union was responsible, THC ain’t the type of folks to disabuse them of that notion. > > > Do you see what we did there? > > To paraphrase our friend Sammy: Don’t drink the AFSCME kool-aid folks. > > The letter in question: > >

• Dan says:

Wow, one million is thefts from Walmart? That’s unbelievable! Who’s your source for that rumor?

Not surprised to hear of Shafers Ace Hardware, that store on Harris is a complete disaster. Rieke screwed the pooch on that one. I’m guessing he’s claiming theft to balance out some of his losses at Harris Street.

6. Genuine AFSCME Member says:

Seriously? The content of the meeting was public to the entire AFSCME membership THE NEXT DAY. Which means, in effect, it was public knowledge the next day. Anyone leaving the meeting that night could have shared it with anyone, who may have a burr under their saddle and wrote the offending email.

• Seriously says:

Well you are certainly a “Genuine AFSCME Member” alright. Who else would think the public is sooo dumb that we can’t read the date and time on the original email. In case you’re having trouble seeing reality it reads: 8:38PM! That’s within 20 minutes of the end of the meeting! Still want to try for some stupid spin about the next day? Just cuz one of your union co-boardmembers says it was the day before doesn’t make it so. Mostly it means that they and possibly you, were too dumb to think about the email record.

If County workers are so great how did they elect representatives that are so stupid? Give them a raise? Maybe when they use their brains and get real leadership.

• Seriously says:

FROM YOUR WEBSITE DUMBSHIT!

“Executive Board meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday. General membership meets at 5:15 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday in January, April, September and November. All meetings are held in the Labor Temple at 840 E Street (9th & E) in Eureka”

In case your impairment extends to the calendar as well please note that the 16th was the third Wednesday. Go back to the drawing board and make up a few more AFSCME lies.

COUNTY WORKERS UNITE…….. to remove stupidity from your representatives.

• Genuine AFSCME Member says:

And not everyone stayed until the end. The meeting was over by seven thirty, which gave someone over an hour to do this. Date and time stamps are Ray to alter; you just set them on your computer to wherever you want them. Watch it with the name calling, it just shows your intellect…. or lack thereof. One angry person does not speak for the membership.

Liked by 2 people

• Seriously says:

You’ve got to be kidding! Right? You make a post talking about the information being posted by a third party with a gripe (suggesting it’s not an AFSCME member) after it became available “THE NEXT DAY”, (your caps not mine) and then you get called out on your STUPIDITY (my caps, not yours) and inability to read the date. Now you want to try and spin the facts to justify how it actually came out a few minutes after the meeting from a disgruntled member. Tell me true, when you sit on Santa’s lap does he have a boner? Believe in tooth fairies as well? Get an F-ing grip. Do you have any idea whatsoever how totally ridiculous you and your AFSCME thugs look right now?

• We at the Consequential really love a good smack down. We really do, but we also feel compelled to encourage a bit of civility every now and again. So, Seriously, lets mellow it out a bit. In the end it’s pretty obvious who has the upper hand and the facts, there’s no need to get carried away. Thanks a bunch!

7. jchiv says:

So Genuine, you are admitting the email could have been sent the same day the meeting occurred?

• Genuine AFSCME Member says:

Jchiv,
      I have no idea when it could have been sent. It SAYS it was sent on Wednesday night; date/time stamps on computers are an easy spoof. If someone sent it that night, it could have been anyone who was there or anyone that they had talked to about the happenings
      To the other poster, “seriously” I’m not having a battle of wits with an unarmed person, nut thanks for the invite

• Seriously says:

Sorry to have gotten a little over zealous. I have an admittedly low tolerance for those who are unable to see the obvious even when it’s something they don’t particularly like. We all see this trait in our most partisan politicians of both parties and it’s always the public that pays for it. Consider stepping back and considering the facts. I humbly suggest that we all make better decisions when they are reality based. I wish you a pleasant evening.

• Thank you Seriously for playing nice ;-). Thanks too for catching the date stamp thing. It’s pretty obvious to us what really occurred.

We gotta go for a while, Mom’s calling us out of the basement/headquarters for dinner and it’s meatloaf night so we’re in a rush.

The person who authored this email needs to step up and come forward.

• Mac Towner says:

Yeah right. A county employee admitting they made a mistake. It’s not going to happen, Why should they when our elected Stupidvisors set such a poor example for integrity themselves.

Mactowner, do you ever have any thing constructive to say besides the term Stupidvisors?
    You think you have answers and better
    solutions. Step up and run. And see what change you bring to the average person. You comment anonymously with the same remark on every post.

• Mac Towner says:

Mr. Chiv, I appreciate your point but frankly I doubt that you have seen your friends work like dogs and raise tens of thousands of dollars in support of someone who shows their thanks by stabbing them in the back. Stupidvisors is the very nicest thing I could say.

Mactowner, what I have seen is some people think that they can buy other people. What I have seen is my own hard work and time and money diminished by people who have their own skeletons in the closet.

Loyalty is something you and your friends do not understand. Don’t think your identity or motives of your friends or you is quite secret as you think. Hiding behind anonymous attacks is what cowards do.

10. Mac Towner says:

Mr. Chiv, What can you tell me of your own thirty five year relationships in this County? I will not pretend to have walked in your shoes, please do not insult me by suggesting you have walked in mine. The government in Eureka has been biased against the north county for generations longer then you have been here.

Mactowner, so because you have lived here longer, you think your opinion carries more weight. In the 13 years that I have lived here, I have been very involved in the business and political community. Unless you want to use your real name, what you say is irrelevant because it hides any agenda and any relationships you have to stakeholders. You brought up tens of thousands of dollars, so you and others expected special favors in exchange?

11. “AFSCMafia”

I’m glad you can tag yourself with one word. Every sentence before this word is less than true and amounts to postering. Basically what you are asking people to do is to listen only to you and not those who may disagree. Great, that is what the right wing needs, and I know from experience here with THC and their supporters, that is what we are dealing with. It’s an anti-government pro-free enterprise ideology. Fine, np. I’m down. Agree to disagree etc.

The one sentence after that self-identifying tag that approaches being true is this “the excuse that it didn’t come from someone on the inside is a tough pill to swallow”.

So I guess your philosophy is that a person attending a meeting – possibly and even likely a member – gets to speak for an organization? I mean that is helpful for your narrative of unions=organized crime, but is that the standard?

Of course it’s the standard. And those on the right-wing side of the fence will eat it up on the one hand and then rage at the left when we make the same mistake. Again, no problem, I’m used to it. This is the kind of logic that has gotten us to this point and you can find it every day broadcast locally on KINS.

What I would hope is that anyone reading this and venturing into the comments can begin to think for themselves and to learn from this experience that to the anti-government right, this isn’t always about truth.

THC, if you’re wondering, here is the truth. The anonymous emailer intentionally used ASFCME’s email address deceptively in order to appear to be speaking for the union (my union btw, one I proudly support). He/she/they are anonymous, AFSCME is not. They don’t care about the consequences of their words, AFSCME and their real-life members do.

Kudos to Virginia Bass for understanding exactly what happened (Supervisors Bohn and Fennell did too, but I’m sure at least he is eating this up). Kudos for John Chiv for at least emailing the faux address and thus doing a modicum of work that the good folk(s) at THC could not or would not do before spreading their narra-rumor (ie rumor meant to support their narrative).

And kudos to you THC. God love you MOLA (As Biden might say), I agree with everything you write MOLA except I would not waste my own time concern not-trolling over THC. This is not journalism, it’s bloggerific op-ed – and the THC is great at it. It is following in the footsteps of the entire movement that is working hard to rid this country of a middle class and the public sector union is their next target so the THC has a relatively large and passionate built-in audience.

I’m thinking, that people are catching on to this bit and the days of terms like “AFSCMafia” and having any credibility with anyone outside, say 30% (and decreasing) of the non-voting population are over. The next step is to make sure that these 30% hard right wingers don’t become 51% come June and November. Only time will tell. Time, and truth, and on this one THC doesn’t care about what is true and what isn’t, as long as they get to tell a story.

*********************************************

Thanks to John C, who seems to be the only one posting this that I or Google can find – here is the union response which, from THC’s you’re-a-witch-and-if-you-say-you-are-not-it-proves-you-are-perspective is only “lies” and “backtracking” (oye-vey).

Dear Supervisors:

The AFSCME Union was made aware today of an online letter circulating on the Lost Coast Outpost and possibly other media blogs or outlets.

We would like to make it perfectly clear that this Union has not authorized this letter and has no idea who the author might be.

Any communications actually sanctioned by the Union will be signed appropriately. If you have any questions, please contact us at the Union office.

Joel Bollinger, Office Secretary

*********************************************

The Humboldt Consequential … “Do not believe them.”

Liked by 2 people

Lets not forget about this Liberal Man. I mean, shit, it’s not like the AFSCME and Local Dems have a habit of underhanded campaign tactics, right?

“The Humboldt committee, along with party committees in San Mateo, San Diego and elsewhere, poured millions of dollars into Senate and Assembly contests during the final weeks of the fall campaign – sometimes within days of receiving large contributions from public-employee unions, corporations and other special interests.”

It’s totally far-fetched that ASFCME and other unions would drop hundreds of thousands of $ to win a race here in Eureka, right? They’ve never done anything like that anywhere, right?

Oh….wait…..
      Top donors to party committees

Charles T. Munger Jr. $3.3 million

SEIU affiliates statewide: $2.3 million

No on 45: $1.95 million

No on 46: $1.2 million

California Teachers Association: $1.2 million

AFSCME: $676,000

Operating Engineers affiliates: $672,000

hmmmmmm?

• Maybe it’s you Cousin who keeps bringing up this article. I’m no fan of this system b/c I don’t like defending it. HCDCC loses credibility locally by continuing to transfer funds using this imperfect – but important mechanism. Way to strawman.

I’ve confronted this head on by writing on this at length by taking into account opposing views, including this article. I’ve also doing what I can as an officer (but not voting member) of the HCDCC to change this.

This, btw, would be unilaterally withdrawing from the money game. Not something people smarter than me are down with.

What I’m saying here LMOB is that your union and the HCDCC has a documented history of targeting a race and dumping a shit-ton of money into it. So it’s a not-too-much of a stretch to think one of your bigger-mouthed members went off and sent that crazy email, telling the supes what you were going to do…expecialy right in the middle of a contract negotiations. Shit, I probably would if I had access to the cash you guys do and things wasn’t going my way.

12. Laffter in the Cheap Seats says:

”Fourth District Supervisor Virginia Bass said that when she received the email she figured it likely didn’t come through the official channels of AFSCME Local 1684. “It’s unfortunate that that’s the way it’s signed,” she said. “It’s probably [from] somebody who has a lot of passion and just wasn’t thinking clearly when they hit ‘send.’” ”
    …. Virginia speaks from experience. ” Matthew in the Middle ” anyone??

13. What I’m saying here LMOB is that your union and the HCDCC has a documented history of targeting a race and dumping a shit-ton of money into it.

A: Yes – duh. This is how California politics run with only a handful of contested races. If you or I were in charge of how to use limited resources, we’d do the same thing. Unions and Democrats are struggling to keep up with private money which votes Republican – who, btw, are doing the exact same thing in the exact same races. This is why they would love even little ole Humboldt to stop playing the game.

I have absolutely no clue how that relates to an email from some guy or gal that may or may not be honestly expressing his/her view that quite obviously commandeered an official-appearing email address to expound.

If you have any further questions, please contact me at my tots legit email address …

therealjonyalcinkaya@yahoo.com

Liked by 2 people

14. A week and another post later and the THC will not correct its mistake. To review, THC is either intentionally lying to its readers or to him/herself. It is not a “letter in question”. The letter above states clearly it is from ASFCME. It is not. The guy/gal/group known as THC is lying to you (or themselves) while posting pictures of stick figures with their pants on fire -ironic. May this help define their credibility going forward.

Or, ASFCME is lying. I mean, shit LMOB, it’s pretty obvious somebody at ASFCME sent it. I think the bigger question is: Are the contents of the letter true, or not? Who cares who sent it if it’s true…Amiright?

• Cuz:

This is an example I used on another thread. Let’s turn back my personal clock and say as an employee of City Cab I wrote a letter to the city that I think it’s BS that these darn no-good tweakers keep getting hand-outs? I can tell you that that was the opinion of some workers and some of the family that owns City Cab. It may or may not be the exact wording I heard.

In what universe would anyone publicize this as potentially real or important in anyway?

******************************************************
        From: CITY CAB, LLC [citycabllc@yahoo.com]
        Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 08:38 PM Pacific Standard Time
        To: Eureka City Council
        Subject: We are coming for your jobs-

We think it’s BS that these darn no-good tweakers keep getting hand-outs.
        P.S…Good luck getting any cabrides, suckers!

Milton Friedman rocks!
        – Employees and Owners of City Cab
        ******************************************************

Also “tweakers” is an offensive term and I only use it here as an example of offensive speach.
        Also: I’m a member of AFSCME.